Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wicked Problem Project: Part D- Findings and Implications

My Wicked Problem Project has been completed and was truly a success!

Formative:

The project did get implemented as planned for the most part. Students created PSA's using the guidelines that I gave them. Overall, I was very impressed with the creativity displayed by all of the students and with how they were able to present their PSA's using the flip cameras. I followed the plan I made step by step, although I did run into timing and technology issues. Many students needed more time than I could give them and we really needed more Mac computers so that more students could edit their videos at the same time. These challenges were still worth the product that students created. I think students truly benefited from turning their research into a persuasive PSA. I look forward to using this project again next year.


Summative:

It was clear that students learned from this project and that the original problem I mentioned in part A has been solved. My problem at the beginning of this project was that I thought students weren't learning from their presentations of their research papers. If anything, the presentations became tedious and viewers began to tune them out. I felt that both the presenters and viewers were not learning from those presentations. My plan to solve this problem was to have students create public service announcements about their topics using Flip cameras and iMovie editing software. There is no doubt that this was a more effective presentation strategy. During the creation of the video, students were completely engaged when deciding how to be most persuasive in their message and what their video will look like. Furthermore, when it came time for presentations, I eagerly watched the student viewers' reactions. The videos were only 1 1/2 minutes, but students watching were immersed in the videos. Afterwards they had excited comments or questions for the presenters about the topics. I had students take notes on the videos and it was clear they had truly learned from each of the video presentations. Clearly the format of a PSA and the fact that each student was given creative license to film the PSA however they liked, made the presentations interesting and engaging for viewers. I was told by many students how much they liked making the videos and how that was their favorite project of the year. I just wish I had enough cameras and computers to allow all students to create PSA's, not just AIG students.

 

*How would you approach another project of this type differently given what you’ve learned here?
If I were to do another project based off of using the Flip cameras and iMovie, I would spend more time guiding students through how to use iMovie and provide an online tutorial for them to reference. I wound up answering the same questions about iMovie software over and over again, which could have been prevented with a more step by step tutorial. I also might have groups involved in the project instead of individuals. 

* What are the lessons learned that others might benefit from knowing about?

 One lesson I learned from this project was that students need a lot of time to explore and create videos as well as a lot of guidance. At times it felt hectic and I found myself questioning why I chose such a project. I was running from computer to computer trying to answer questions galore, moving out to the halls to check on the students filming, meeting with the tech coordinator to make sure I had mics and more, and giving up my lunch period for weeks to provide more time for students who needed it. When it came time to turn the videos in, there were also problems. This was just for my AIG students. At the same time, I also had my other students making websites, blogs, Glogs, Power Points, and more. I was bound to run into technical and time issues with so many options.
 However, one positive lesson that I learned from this is that it's okay not to know the answers to everything. When I got thrown for a loop because the version of iMovie I was familiar with was different than the version the school computers had, I had to teach myself in front of the students how to use it correctly. Sometimes we searched together for answers and sometimes students were able to teach me what they had learned. It truly was a learning process for all of us, but it can be rewarding to learn along with the students.
Although hectic and time consuming, the value that the students got from the project made it all worth it and I do plan to do it again next year.



* In what ways will you endeavor to do the same project again, and what will you change or not do?

When I use this project again next year, there are some things that I plan to change and that might be beneficial for others to know. For example, the storyboard did not prove useful. If I use it again, I would need to give a sample storyboard. It really became more of a hassle than anything and most kids changed their plans midway through anyways. Also, I need stricter requirements about the script. Some students went into great detail writing their scripts and others did the bare minimum. I think if I had stricter guidelines for that it would make my expectations clearer. As I've said earlier, I also will make sure I reserve more time in the computer lab. Scheduling with other teachers is always a bit hectic. I still loved the project and the videos the students created. I absolutely plan to do it again next year.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    The online tutorial to help your students next year sounds like such a great idea! I don't know how your day is, but I teach the same thing 5 times in one day. I often get tired of repeating myself, and think sometimes that if I had done an online tutorial, or recorded my lecture or directions, I could be using my energy to make sure the kids are on task, rather than remembering everything I have to tell them!

    Sounds like your project went very well. Kudos to you!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I really liked this reflection about the implementation. I am curious, how did the interest/behavior look during the "non" AIG student presentations? Were the students more engaged for the video versus a Glog? versus PowerPoint? I just think that could be a neat comparison.

    Your idea of having an online tutorial about the "basic" features of creating a video is brilliant. It made me think back to my student Glogster project (that also involved PowerPoint). I joked to some adults by the end of the project that I was a great computer teacher versus a math teacher. I felt that more of my questions were about the computer programs. Having a tutorial students could first view would probably help eliminate many of those "repeat" questions. Great thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of what your students were able to accomplish. Although I have a make and have attempted to make short videos nothing I did came even close to the caliber of work that I saw in your students' PSAs. I commend you and them for making such professional products.

    I love the idea of making a tutorial to help guide them through iMovie, although there probably are quite a few out on the internet already. That way you don't have to do extra work! Also, for those students who maybe finish early they could make tutorial videos to explain in student language how to use iMovie.

    I think a rubric and more specific expectations will make the next time around go more smoothly, but overall I would say this was definitely a success! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete